2005-10-16

Caveat Emptor

Last month, my wife convinced me that it would not be such a bad idea to get our son a hamster for his birthday, and after a little bit of convincing, I agreed. A few days before his birthday, my wife went to the pet store to check them out, and saw one available that seemed to be a bit more active than the others. She came home to tell me about it, so and went back to get it the day before the big day.

Needless to say, my son was overjoyed by the gift, (the Good Puppy and the Fur-Covered Demon were a bit disappointed to find out it was another pet and not a snack) and we set up a terrarium in his room.

Now we come to the real point of this story. If any of you ever find yourself in a position in which you are going to buy a hamster, you might want to ensure that said hamster is not pregnant at time of purchase. It was six days later that the population of the terrarium jumped from 1 to 8. The hamsterlings are all healthy and doing well, but are growing quickly and we will need to take measures to relocate some of them soon.

No comments: